Tuesday, July 31, 2012

introducing new justice interns!

Introducing our justice interns: 2012-2013 Seattle UCC Young Adult Service Community


Transform your life... Transform the world!


United Church of Christ Young Adult Service Communities (Ages 21-30)

We welcome our inaugural team of Justice Interns to Seattle on September 4, 2012, as they begin their 2012-2013 year of service!


Community Living
Interns live in community with each other at All Pilgrims
UCC/DoC Church on Capitol Hill and develop relationships
with their host congregation, local community, and YASC
Groups in other locations.


Justice Leaders development - in the UCC
Integrate congregational life and mission/justice advocacy.
Develop servant leadership skills in year-long course for
Justice Leaders, at Keystone UCC in Wallingford, alongside
members & friends of Seattle UCC churches.


Hands-on Justice Advocacy work at Seattle
placements
Work to foster systemic change for our most vulnerable and
excluded people, by serving 32 hours/week in an advocacy
organization that mobilizes folks to action.


Faith Conversations
Study progressive Christian values, nonviolence, and
community organizing. Reflect on radical hospitality,
vocational discernment, and a call to a life of faith-based
justice work. Grow the vision of a church engaged in God's
prophetic and healing work in the world.

Justice Interns will join the life and leadership each week at 3 of our Seattle churches:
Keystone UCC: www.keystoneseattle.org/ All Pilgrims UCC/DoC: www.allpilgrims.org/
Plymouth UCC: www.plymouthchurchseattle.org/

To learn more, contact: Lauren Cannon, Associate Pastor Keystone UCC, Seattle lauren.cannon@keystoneseattle.org 206-632-6021 www.keystoneseattle.org Seattle regional director YASC www.ucc.org/volunteer

~~~~~ Introducing our inaugural 2012-2013 team:

Jenn Hagedorn, from our own Pacific Northwest Conference UCC, will be interning with The Church Council of Greater Seattle: http://www.thechurchcouncil.org/ and serving at Plymouth UCC: http://plymouthchurchseattle.org/
My name is Jenn Hagedorn and I am so looking forwarding to the upcoming year as a part of the YASC program! I graduated from Western Washington University in 2011 with a BA in Human Services and Rehabilitation. This broad degree allowed me to experience working with non-profits, especially within the field of public health, and solidified my desire to work within the non-profit sector. I
Welcome 2012-2013 Justice Interns
recently returned from living in Ghana for eight months, where I volunteered with various government and non-governmental organizations doing health outreach and education. As a child that grew up in the UCC, I know that I was blessed to be in an environment that instilled the importance of justice and equality. These are the values that have shaped who I am, and have opened so many doors in my life. I see the YASC program as a perfect opportunity to give back to the broader UCC community, while also deepening my own faith and continuing on my spiritual path.
~~~~~~

Marianne Haney, originally from West Seattle and Puyallup, will be interning with Puget Sound Sage: http://www.pugetsoundsage.org/ and serving at All Pilgrims UCC/DoC:
My name is Marianne Haney and I will be one of the interns for this upcoming 2012-2013 year of service. There are three main reasons I applied for a YASC
position. The first being that I will be graduating from AmeriCorps NCCC on July 19th after 10 months of traveling and serving communities throughout the Pacific Region. I had the opportunity to work for 4 specific nonprofit organizations throughout my year of service. I realized that I want to continue in the nonprofit sector and wanted to do this in the city that I was raised in. Second, I wanted to work on becoming a leader in my community and continue to grow in all areas. Third, I wanted to be connected to a church to some degree and have the chance to be surrounded by religious leaders. I am originally from West Seattle, but spent most of my high school years in Puyallup, Washington. I was in my second year of college for Criminal Psychology before I dropped out to join AmeriCorps. I was adopted at the age of 3 by my amazing parents Richard & Martha. I love to learn different languages and experience new cultures and philosophies on life. I am 5’5, just turned 21, athletic, love to play video games, love to be involved in church activities, and love meeting new people. I love Russian and Indian food; I like to go out, like the outdoors, and trying new things. I can’t wait to meet all of the people I will be working with.
~~~~~~~

Steven Boyles, a leader from the Ohio UCC Conference, will be interning with The Faith Action Network: http://fanwa.org/ and serving at Keystone UCC: www.keystoneseattle.org/

Hi, my name is Stephen Boyles, and I'm a native of Kent, Ohio, a city just outside of the Cleveland area. I recently graduated from Heidelberg University, where I majored in Political Science and Minored in Religion. Heidelberg is a UCC affiliated school, and it's where I learned about the YASC service opportunity from my campus minister. I've had a very exciting spiritual journey so far, and I'm incredibly excited to continue with that same spirit of service in Seattle in this upcoming YASC year.
~~~~~~

Kathryn Murdock, from our own Pacific Northwest Conference UCC, will be interning at the Seattle/King County Coalition on Homelessness: http://www.homelessinfo.org/ and serving at Keystone UCC: www.keystoneseattle.org/
Kathryn Murdock is a recent graduate of the University of Puget Sound where she majored in foreign language international affairs and minored in music. She is a native of Seattle and grew up at University Congregational UCC where she first learned the importance of social and economic justice. Kathryn is very excited to begin the YASC program where she will have the opportunity to connect her interest in improving social and economic justice with her work in a non-profit at the Seattle/King County Coalition on Homelessness.
~~~~~

As we prepare to accompany our 2012-2013 Justice Interns along their year, we celebrate their courage and their call to this commitment!

No comments: