Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Taxes Unite!



Olympia was flooded yesterday with nearly 10,000 citizens from all over the state of Washington. They came with a common issue, taxes. One might think that based on American history and our often exemplified love affair with finances that this group might be unified against taxes. This was not the case. While the subject of taxes brought citizens to Olympia, it was what to do about taxes divided this deluge of Washingtonians. I arrived as a part of the “Rally to Protect Our Future.” Our cry, “Yes on Revenue!” sounded a bit more appealing then, “More Taxes!” yet that was essentially our message.

In order to balance the budget with the its $2+ billion deficit Governor Gregiore proposed deep cuts that affected services for the elderly, reduced basic health care coverage, cut funding for university students, affected state workers’ salaries, as well as gouging services for the homeless, disabled and other vulnerable citizens. Representatives from these groups united at the capitol to oppose the cuts and advocate instead for new revenue sources. The 6,000+ crowd overflowed the capitol steps and demonstrated their passion as they cheered, jeered and took every opportunity let their voices be heard. I was impressed and surprised by the sheer number of people asking government to tax them (perhaps that's not how they saw it but I don't know how else to take it).

I cannot speculate on the varied motivations of the diverse crowd that gathered to plead with lawmakers to stop the cuts and find new sources of revenue. I know for myself, that I raised my sign high because I believe we must hold, protect, and cherish the vulnerable in our society. I’m willing to pay higher taxes if it will mean that the homeless, the poor, the disabled, and the ill receive much needed social services and health care. What’s more, I cheered loudly because I think that the members of Keystone believe as I do, that ultimately this issue isn’t about taxes, it’s about justice.

Posted by Brandon

No comments: